I’ve noticed over the past few days that arealityofmyown is getting a lot hits from search terms relating to papermodels. In particular, the post “A new paper model project” has seen most of those hits. This is the post where I announced I was working on building a papermodel of the toolshed, dogtrot, style sustainable living compound that I designed a few summers back. An update is in order!
I designed it using Visio, which is a windows only program. After printing it out, I measured and started drawing the papermodel kit in Photoshop. Developing the basic walls and placing the doors/windows was not hard and before I knew it, I had the walls built.
Unfortunately, this is where I got stuck. I had a hard time visualizing the roof. I wasn’t quite sure if I was going to maintain three separate toolsheds, requiring development of three roofs, or designing it with one big roof over the whole thing. I always visualized the compound as three toolsheds with somethings like a champa or pavilion type roof over them. The advantage of the champa/pavilion is that the could be covered with solar panels and/or “green roofing” while providing an expanse of shaded outdoor space and even carport. For some reason, I just could not visualize the final design, the double roofs seemed like a waste of resources, and I couldn’t how the champa/pavilion roof would integrate with the three units if I didn’t use stock toolsheds. Then there is the possibility of making the whole thing using straw bale.
As you can see, my mind went nuts with ideas on how to refine this compound. I love the dogtrot style, I love the idea of living units, and I love the idea of protected outdoor space. Back the drawing I went, but then the holidays came up and I haven’t gotten back to it. To make matter worse, my guinea pig attacked the model that I built previously, destroying it. I think it was sign from above to rethink the whole project However, I migrated to an iMac (I love it!) and no longer have access to Visio and the files it produced. I am shopping for a simple Mac based, free CAD program, but haven’t found anything yet. I might return to old fashion pencil and paper and risk poking my eye with the pencil or dying of an infection from a papercut. Skethcing it out on paper, with full elevations would make it easier to build from paper! duh!
Overall, the first version was a great exercise in visualizing the details and going through the process of possibilities. Please stay tuned and be patient, the project is moving forward slowing.